Thursday, March 4, 2010

Major Baby Project...DONE!

A new carseat wasn't in the budget and babies use them for such a short time...so we borrowed my sister's seat and I bought material to make a new cover. I was sorta using a pattern and sorta making part of it up as I went along. The pattern didn't make a lot of sense and would've been too huge for the carseat.

My mom and I found this really cute flannel monster fabric at JoAnn's and got the plush green fabric to make it super soft! We're not sports people so its hard to find boy stuff thats still cute. (The head insert is one we had from Sophie, I didn't make that)
It wasn't as challenging as I thought it would be, but I know why people charge up to $100 for these custom seat covers, its a lot of engineering to figure out.
The hood was the hardest part and I didn't want to take my sister's seat apart, so some tissue paper and muslin mock up and I figured it out, just don't look too close. It needs boning to make it stand up better, but I wasn't up for that challenge.
We bought a ton of fabric because I didn't know how much I needed and I wanted to make a blanket. I ended up making a blanket/car seat canopy.

It can be used as a blanket, especially when he starts wanting to be on the floor.
And on the other side I sewed two straps to attach to the car seat handle to make a canopy. I like to cover sleeping babies in the carseat to keep light out, but they tend to blow away or not stay in place, so the straps fix that problem!

So, if anyone would like to have a custom made car seat cover and canopy, that'll be $100!
My project for next week is to get Easter stuff done! I'm going to make Sophie a dress, Nathan a matching tie and do a tie applique onto a onsie for Carter.

1 comment:

Devin & Ruthann said...

You are so talented! I love the fabric!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails