Saturday, February 27, 2010

In Limbo...

I'm in doctor limbo right now...I was seeing the perinatologist, driving to Mesa twice a week for fetal heart rate monitoring and ultrasounds and never met the same doctor twice. I don't like not knowing who's caring for me and my unborn child. I'm sure they're all highly qualified, but I feel tossed around and uncared for. Repeating myself is a huge pet peeve of mine, especially when a doctor is suppose to be taking notes!

Last Monday I was in the room doing the heart rate monitoring and the nurses who were suppose to come unhook me never came. I waited 15 minutes after the doctor left for them to come, then I had to pee so bad, I unhooked myself, used the potty then waited for my ultrasound. Everyone at the office assumed I left (uh, no...I was forgotten about...and 45 minutes is way too long for any pregnant woman to wait between bathroom breaks) so then I had to wait for the ultrasound to open up for me to do that.

This last Thursday, I was 15 minutes early to my appointment and sat reading my book...10 minutes past my appointment...15 minutes...20 minutes...I waited 30 minutes past my appointment time before going up to the front desk to make sure I was really suppose to be there that day. Guess what, they all thought I had been taken back and hooked up for the fetal monitoring already. Now, 30 minutes past my appointment meant that I would miss my appointment, which they scheduled, with a diabetic counselor to go over diet...don't really need it as my blood sugars have been just fine the last week and a half!

So during the fetal monitoring, Carter kept moving...he was a mad as his momma over being forgotten AGAIN! So, we had to wait around for an ultrasound and then they wanted me to wait another hour until the diabetic counselor was free to meet with me. I'm very proud to say that I stayed super calm and told them that my time is just as valuable and their time and I'd be happy to come back at a later date, but had things scheduled for that afternoon.

I received a nice lecture from the front desk gal about how in the medical field things happen and not everything runs on time and patience is appreciated. I think I was pretty darn patient waiting a half hour past my appointment time!

So I got back to my mom's house where Brady was with the kids and realized I forgot to get the times for my amnio and c-section on March 11 & 12, which are the dates I had set up with the doctor I saw on Monday. I've lost my voice with this cold, so Brady called. There were no records of those dates being discussed in my chart. WHAT!

The lady Brady talked to said perhaps I made those dates up and Brady told them that my wife is not a liar and its convenient that it was only me and the doctor in the room, so she said vs. me said. The office manager called the doctor and the doctor said she told me March 16th....ummm...no. After more discussion the doctor did agree to the March 11 & 12 dates, saying she may have mistaken me with another patient. Again, where is my personal care???

That was pretty much my last straw. I don't know what I'm going to do. I was told that they won't know who's performing the amnio or the c-section until the week of. The last time I let a doctor I barely knew perform a c-section I nearly died two years later when Sophie was born! I don't really want that to happen again...

So, here I am in LIMBO! I miss my other doctor...as much as we may butt heads (he and I are too much a like and I think that's why I like him so much) I trust him with my life. There's not a lot of people I can say that about...so we're going to try going back to that practice, just for the rest of this pregnancy so it may look as though we may not have Carter before St. Patty's day, but after thinking about it and praying about it, its a decision I'm comfortable with (for now). God knows me and what is meant for my life and for Carter's life. I try to follow my heart...much prayers are needed to keep me calm and sane for the next couple weeks!

3 comments:

Vickie said...

I hate waiting at the doctor's office! During my last pregnancy, I had to wait a full hour in a room for a doctor to come in and take two seconds to tell me everything looked good and I could leave. I was MAD! I held it in, though. Maybe I shouldn't have, though.... even just thinking about it still makes me mad.
Good luck to you. I hope you get the care you need quickly!

Devin & Ruthann said...

Man that is not good patient care! That's not the way the should be treating a patient...forgetting about you while you are waiting in the office, forgetting about appointments, saying incorrect dates!

Aaron and Shantelle McBride said...

Lola, oh my goodness!! (This is Jeanne's sister, by the way) Your situation with being shuffled around like that is soo disheartening! I feel for you a lot and I hope you are able to get back with the doctor whom you trust your life with. I have had some pretty miserable experiences with my pregnancies, dealing with doctors, ect. if you ever want to swap stories. Oh, and LOVE your car seat cover!! Great job on that. I got into sewing about 5 years ago and can't get enough of it. Anyway, good luck with everything!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails