Thursday, April 8, 2010

Amazed

I have been thinking a lot about being healthy and loosing weight and my body after pregnancy...even before Carter was born I became concerned with becoming healthier because of the gestational diabetes. I do not want to have diabetes because it is 100% preventable.

I have NEVER been thin, never really wanted to be thin. Believe it or not I've been very happy being the size I am. Yes, there are things I want to change, but the smallest size I've ever been was a size 12 and that was in high school, so really I don't know any better. :) I wish I had less jiggly parts (especially after child birth) and smaller boobs (especially with breastfeeding, ugh).

After I had Nathan, my body changed dramatically! I had never had body issues until after I birthed Nathan. I remember looking in the mirror in the hospital (no one should ever do this) and crying. Sure, I wasn't thin before but I'd never looked this bad. I had stretch marks galore and wonderful new jiggly bits and less ab strength. I couldn't loose the weight!

Brady was so supportive and uplifting (he always has been about my body, even in my moments when I'm down on myself) so I eventually became happy in this new body.

Sophie was born and again I was unhappy with my post-pregnancy body. She was a 10 pound baby so there were new stretch marks and more jiggly bits and weight I never lost.

However, now after Carter, I find myself looking at this body with a different set of eyes. I am grateful for my jiggly bits and my big boobs and this extra weight (that I do hope to loose). I am amazed at how my body can give life to my three children, not only while they're growing inside of me, but afterwards as I nurse them for the first year of their life. I am astonished at how quickly my body can heal after pregnancy and having a c-section.

Three weeks ago I was pregnant and huge and now I've lost 30 of the pounds I gained during pregnancy and I feel so healthy. I may have my moments of glancing in the mirror and wishing my stomach was flatter or my wobbly bits weren't there...but then I look at the three miracles this body, my body, brought into this world and I'm not so hung up on the parts of my body I'm unhappy with. I know with commitment and hard work I can take care of my body the way it deserves and I'll be even happier with it.

2 comments:

Kristi said...

Thank you Lola for posting this. I have had a hard time with my body image too. I have come to realize that my body will look like this, just as long as I take good care of myself. Way to have a great positive attitude!!! I need more you in my life. I think you are beautiful and you have 3 beautiful kids. Love you!

Devin & Ruthann said...

Amen! Great post!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails