Last night around 9:30 I was in the hall when I heard Nathan crying in his bed. I went in and he was not breathing right so I woke him up and tried patting his back then took him in the bathroom and ran steam, but I had the feeling that this wouldn't help. I made the decision to dial 911, the first time I've ever done it, and in about 7 minutes I had a house full of firemen, police and paramedics.
They started a breathing treatment, but he wasn't getting better and they throught his airway was closing, so they needed to take him to the ER. Brady was on his way home so I called my friend, Christine, to come stay in the house with Sophie who was sleeping. Christine was there in like a minute, THANK YOU SO MUCH! Nathan got loaded up and we were off with lights and sirens going.
Nathan was very quiet as the paramedic gave him some steroids and put an IV in. It was a short ride to the Gilbert Emergency Room, but it felt like forever. They unloaded us and wheeled Nathan into the trauma room where they switched his breathing treatment and checked vitals.
Brady got there a couple minutes after us and could stand by Nathan while I gave the nurse information. The docotor said he had stridor http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stridor and thought we may need to move to a childrens hospital if he didn't respond to the treatment.
After an hour and a half, with bloodwork and an x-ray done, Nathan started coming back to his old self and talking to us and his breathing regulated. He also began coughing, which the doctor said was really bad croup http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croup and that'd he'd be ok and we just had to follow up with his doctor in the morning.
We were so relieved! We were released and got home shortly before 2 AM! Nathan's up and fine this morning, he's got a cough and his voice is scratchy sounding, but he's runing around and yelling at his sister like normal.
I just love him so much and to think that if I hadn't called 911 his airway could've closed and I wouldn't have him anymore. I can't even imagine my life without Nathan! My children are my world, as are any mother's children. Thank you, Heavenly Father for the divine intervention to walk down that hallway and for telling me to call for help.
7 comments:
Goodness! SO glad he's okay! It's so hard to know when to call 911 and when to just take care of it. Kids seem to always be in that fine line where you aren't 100% sure of what to do. Thank goodness he's alright! What a scary night for you guys.
I am so glad you knew what to do and listened. What a blessing from Heavenly Father. That is an amazing story. (And I'm sure super scary as a mother!)
I'm sorry to hear about your stressful evening, but glad to hear everything turned out okay. Motherly inspiration is truly special and I am grateful for it every day.
I'm so glad everybody is ok! What a scary night for you all. I'm sure Nathan will forget all about it long before you will :).
Lola my friend. Thank heavens you followed your promptings. What a scary night. I am glad Nathan is doing better.
Sandi Hardinger
Wow! That was scary. So glad that it had a happy ending. Nathan is such a good kid.
Lola, aren't you glad we have the Holy Ghost?! I'm so glad that Nathan is okay .He is such a cute little boy.
Post a Comment