Last Saturday my mom came over and we canned 25 lbs of peaches! It was my first time since I was a little girl and we had a lot of fun. It was a ton of work (especially with Nate & Sophie running around) but we got Nathan to help us out a bit. We ended up with 10 quarts of peaches and 10 half-pints of peach jelly. Then we got super ambitious and tried a new recipe we found in a book and made a dozen half-pints of cranberry-cider jelly! SUPER YUMMY!
We tried blanching the peaches to get the skins to peel off, but it didn't work so we peeled them all by hand!


We did water bath canning! I enjoyed listening to my mom talk about the times she canned with my grandmother and great grandmother. I remember the dirt floor basement of our house in Foosland, IL and it was full of shelves and those shelves were filled with canned fruits and vegetables. My great-grandparents lived off the land they farmed and canning peaches made me feel a connection to that.

The finished product! I don't think we packed them full enough, but they'll still be good! I'm looking forward to making some cobbler.
2 comments:
So fun!!! I thought about getting some peaches and doing that too, but didn't get around to it. I'm hoping to can some chicken this week. If you need helpers eating cobbler just let me know! =)
Yum! I love canned peaches! You go!
Post a Comment