I went for my level two ultrasound last week. It was a much more pleasent experience and it was great to see the little guy again. All of his measurements were good, he looked healthy except for his little kidneys.
I don't understand all the medical explanations, but what I do understand is that they are dialated, which is not good. The dialation is a marker for Downs Syndrome, but he didn't have any other markers and I'm still young enough that those odds are low. Dialation could also mean a hundred other things...best case scenario is that they will heal on their own before birth and the worst would mean surgery soon after he's born.
I will have another ultrasound in about 6 weeks and then another right before he's born, so 6 weeks after that to make sure the dialation doesn't increase. Right now one kidney is an 8 and one is a 9. Dr. Guzman told me that if the dialtion gets to 10 or higher then he will transfer my care to a specialist and I will deliver at a hospital that is equipped with a good neonatal intensive care.
I know there's nothing I can do now except pray for a healthy baby, but I still worry....a lot...my mind is filled with what ifs and whys. I look at my two beautiful and healthy children and only pray for one more...
Brighter news is that this little guys is a little over one pound and it looks like he may be smaller then Sophie (my 10 pounder). And we've decided on a name!
Nathan named his little brother. He was sitting in the bath one night and just said, "I know what my baby brother's name is". And I was like, "Oh really? And what is his name?"...now, we've been throwing around names since finding out I was pregnant and couldn't decide on anything, nothing sounded right. So Nathan just sat up so proudly, "His name is Carter" and I asked how he knew that and he answered "I just know that's what it is."
I talked to Brady and we both were amazed at how right the name felt and we both laughed knowing Nathan named his little brother.
So his name is Carter Quinn Hunt :)
4 comments:
I hope everything goes good with little Carter. What a cute name his big brother picked. We will keep you guys in our prayers and especially little Carter!
I am so glad this ultrasound was better- even if the news wasn't 110% positive. I just know he will be ok. I love the name and how special it will always be for Nathan to have come up with it. Love ya and am always praying for you.
We'll be praying for Carter! That's so cute Nathan picked the name. And lucky that he didn't say it was something like Elmo or something!
What a fun story on how he was named! I will be praying that everything works out okay with the little guy.
Post a Comment