Saturday, July 26, 2008

How Cute are They?

I am so thankful for how much Nathan loves Sophie! He adores her and she him. They are so good at entertaining each other and I know they'll be best friends!

FYI, Nathan DID NOT qualify for preschool. He tested low in the self care category, but intellectually he's way up there, which we knew already. He needed to test below average in two areas, but he did only one. Our concern for him and why he needs to be in preschool is that sensory processing will hold him back socially and then affect his learning. He has such a difficulty transitioning and giving up any control over his environment. These are such crucial skills even for kindergarten nowadays. So, we made a stink and called the superintendent of the school district and he agreed that although sensory processing disorder is not well known, it does affect the way children learn and how they interact with their peers. He agreed that we do a 30 day trial with Nathan in the preschool and then assess where we go after that.

Nathan starts on Monday morning! He will go four days a week from 8 to 11 AM. Brady and I think this will be a very good thing for him and Nathan is so very excited!

Our next adventure will be potty training...I'm looking for volunteers to come and teach him to go in the toilet...email me if you're available! (Seriously, I'm serious)

2 comments:

kimberly said...

I'm so glad Nathan can go to preschool at least for the first 30 days! Good job on battling for him! My parents had to do the same thing with my brother, Joey...and they still do even now when he's an adult. It is hard, but so worth it when your child FINALLY gets the programs that he needs! :-)

The Herberts said...

Hi Lola,
My little one, Carter, should be starting the special needs preschool at the end of August so maybe we'll be seeing each other a lot more. Is Nathan going to Walker Butte? Who is his teacher? I have some many questions and so many nerves about him going to school because he's so little, but I know he needs it. I hope things turn out the way you are hoping for Nathan!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails