At the last ultrasound then OB appointment we were told that the number to look for on Carter's kidneys is a 10. At that point they were dilated to 8 and 9 mm...if they dilated further then we'd be seeing a specialist...a pediatric urologist.
We went on Wednesday for another ultrasound. He's a big boy, weighing just over 3 lbs and measuring two weeks ahead of where I'm at...just like Nate & Sophie! When the tech left then came back into the room and asked if we had seen a urologist yet I knew his little kidneys had gotten to the magic number 10. In fact his kidneys both measured 12 mm, so it was recommended that we see a specialist.
Thankfully I have a friend who's baby boy went through the same problem so she was happy to share her doctor's info with us and we have an appointment this coming Wednesday.
The perinatologist (the doc who did the ultrasound) said that on a worry scale this problem is a 3, but I'd much rather prefer a big fat ZERO! My mind keeps wondering to the worst simply based on my past experiences...
If I had my way I would be birthing these babies all naturally, no medicine or epidural, birth them and put them on to nurse and bond...but God had a different plan and gave me an emergency c-section with Nathan. I didn't get to hold my first baby boy for nearly 8 hours after he was born, it was horrible. Then Sophie was ripped from my arms while nursing for the first time because she had difficulty breathing and it was another 6 hours before I could touch her and then 24 hours after that before I could hold her in the NICU.
I just wanted a normal c-section delivery with a happy, healthy baby. I'm having a hard time coming to terms that my bonding may not happen on the time schedule I would like. I'm very selfish when it comes to my newborn babies. I mean, I did do all the work in carrying them for nine months, is it too much to ask to have them right away? I'm already giving up the control by letting the doctor deliver them and then hand them to a nurse first. With Sophie I was so impatient during that eternity between hearing her cry and seeing her for the first time.
So I'm hoping some of my stress and worries will be put to rest by meeting with the pediatric urologist. I pray Carter will be able to be with me right after he's born and won't have to go to the NICU. I pray that Nathan and Sophie will be able to come to the hospital to see this little baby they're so excited to meet! As he moves and kicks, I love this little Carter!!
1 comment:
I have no doubt that these babies came to the right Mama. Your desire to bond with them as quickly as possible is the blessing a baby with any complication needs when he/she is born. I hope lucky number 3 gives you what you want when it comes to that, but I know you're feisty enough to make sure it happens as soon as possible even if it isn't immediate! :)
Post a Comment