Thursday, February 18, 2010

Pregnancy Update

I had my first "high risk" appointment at Phoenix Perinatal Associates on Wednesday. It was TWO hours long and no one bothered to mention that when I made the appointment, so the kids were driving us (mostly Brady) nutso by the end. The stress of this pregnancy is not only getting to me, but also to Brady and the kids...I think we'll all be glad when its over and Carter is here to hold and love!!

The appointment was fine, just like any other first doctors visit...history...blah blah blah...we talked about the gestational diabetes, which my daytime numbers aren't high, just the morning blood sugar so I FINALLY got some medication to help control that and it worked. This morning my blood sugar was 82 and all day its been around 110, that's 2 hours after meals, which is totally normal. I didn't want to be on insulin and I'm thankful this other medication is working!

We also talked about delivering between 36 and 37 weeks and the doctor seemed to be fine with that, but there were no notes from my pregnancy with Sophie about my uterine rupture risk so she's going to look into that. I think she saw the fear and truth in mine and Brady's face when we brought that up. My medical records from Goodman & Partridge were all messed up. For example the record said I had Sophie at 38 weeks and she was born at 36 1/2 weeks, it also said I had gestational diabetes with her and I didn't...really would I worry so much this time if I had been through it before. That diagnosis was never discussed during my pregnancy with Sophie, I passed the glucose test and ate all the flippin' ice cream I wanted when I was pregnant with her, there were no restrictions put on me.

The only bad part of the visit was being told I had to deliver at Banner Desert. I had Nathan there and had a horrible post partum stay. The nurses were like nazis and because I had general anesthesia with him, no one followed my birth plan or honored our wishes with our baby. Brady wasn't even allowed to be with him until nearly an hour after he was born and I didn't hold him for almost seven hours afterwards...trust me things will be very different this time! I don't care what they think of me, I will have a say in how my baby is cared for.

I now have to go into the office twice a week for monitoring of the baby. Stillbirth is a risk with gestational diabetes and that completely has me worried, especially when I'm busy and don't take the time to feel Carter move. They'll do an ultrasound and monitoring and perhaps a stress test to make sure he's doing ok. Also, they need to check his kidneys for increased dilation and his growth...this kids gonna be huge. Driving to Mesa twice a week is going to be a pain and finding people to watch the kids will be tricky, but hopefully only for three more weeks then we'll have our baby and I can put this whole nightmare pregnancy behind me!

3 comments:

Devin & Ruthann said...

I'm glad the medication is helping! Let me know and I can help with your kids.

Johnston*family said...

Me too. Let me know when you need help. Landon would be glad to have someone to play with.

Jenny said...

Oh my goodness Lola..I know what you mean about Goodman & P I no longer go to them either. I know i have been so bad at keeping in touch but please please..i am closer into Gilbert-drop your kiddos off here if you would like. Keep strong-the cutie will be here soon. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails