Ok. Something really bothered me a couple days ago when I was at Fry's. I was in line to check out and I noticed the lady in front of me was carrying a COACH bag...something I notice because one day, many moons from now, I would like to have one. :) I thought "nice bag" and started loading my groceries.
Then when her bill came up, she paid for the $150 in groceries with an EBT card, which is a welfare card in case you didn't know. Now, I have no problem with people being on welfare if they need to be. (I was on AHCCCS (state medical care) after Brady lost his job when I was pregnant with Nathan. We were on it until we did not need it anymore then stopped it. That's the way it should work, right?)
BUT I do have a problem if that person is carrying a Coach purse! I am sorry but if you are in a situation that requires you to be on welfare sell the dang designer bag to buy your children food.
I could tell it was bothering the cashier, too. She said she's not racist, but she's too many hispanic women dressed nicely with nice purses come through on welfare to not have it bother her.
I know I'm on a soapbox...we have a welfare system that was set up by FDR during the depression to be used as a hand up. It should not be something people LIVE on. It is a stepping stone to help people improve their situations. Due to its abuse, people who apply who truly do need it but won't abuse it are often rejected. I remember a time when people were ashamed to take a handout from the government, but it seems like more and more people are loud and proud about the government supporting them so they can afford their designer bags!
2 comments:
Amen! .... and if you have seen me with my designer bags ... don't hate! they are so fake!!!!!
AMen to that sister! It is so ridiculous that people value material things so much, that they place wants over needs. Even the needs of their own family. Sell that coach lady, and feed yo family!
Post a Comment